Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count, Countif, Sumif??

Right I've got a table that contains a lot of text that i need to
summarse in another table. Its really just two columns the first
contains a group name and the second a result. What I need to work out
is the number of times the result occurs for each group. But every work
sheet function I've entered fails.

--
benjam_in
benjam_in's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36295

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

=SUMPRODUCT(--(GroupRange=GroupName),--(ResultRange=ResultValue))

Arvi Laanemets

"benjam_in" wrote
in message ...

Right I've got a table that contains a lot of text that i need to
summarse in another table. Its really just two columns the first
contains a group name and the second a result. What I need to work out
is the number of times the result occurs for each group. But every work
sheet function I've entered fails.

--
benjam_in
benjam_in's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560742

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

need to apply it to the second table using the data from the first

--
benjam_in
benjam_in's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36295
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560742

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tried that didnt seem to work, got #NUM! error. Both the group and the
results are text.

--
benjam_in
benjam_in's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36295
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560742

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assuming that your data is on Sheet2!a2:b100

=sumproduct(--(a2:a100="group")*(b2:100))

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"benjam_in" escreveu:

Tried that didnt seem to work, got #NUM! error. Both the group and the
results are text.

--
benjam_in
benjam_in's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36295
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=560742

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have responded with an example on OzGrid. No need to post all over the
place.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips