Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Custom Filter

Folks,
Here's a snapshot of a column:

Date
Jan-04
Feb-04
Mar-04
Jan-05
Feb-05
Apr-05
Jan-06
Mar-06

This column is formatted as Date. I am trying to do a custom filter where
it will only pick up, for example, January related dates i.e. Jan-04, Jan-05
& Jan-06.

How do I do this? I tried to do a custom with the "Begins With" parameter
but it doesn't return anything. Is this because the column is formatted as
Date and the Begins with normally work with text fields? Please help.

Regards,
Shams.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Shams

You can do it with EasyFilter if you want
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

Or use AdvancedFilter with one formula in the criteria
=MONTH(A7)=1

See
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter02.html

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Shams" wrote in message ...
Folks,
Here's a snapshot of a column:

Date
Jan-04
Feb-04
Mar-04
Jan-05
Feb-05
Apr-05
Jan-06
Mar-06

This column is formatted as Date. I am trying to do a custom filter where
it will only pick up, for example, January related dates i.e. Jan-04, Jan-05
& Jan-06.

How do I do this? I tried to do a custom with the "Begins With" parameter
but it doesn't return anything. Is this because the column is formatted as
Date and the Begins with normally work with text fields? Please help.

Regards,
Shams.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Try "Greater than or equal to" AND "Less than or equal to" as your Custom
Filter criteria.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
Here's a snapshot of a column:

Date
Jan-04
Feb-04
Mar-04
Jan-05
Feb-05
Apr-05
Jan-06
Mar-06

This column is formatted as Date. I am trying to do a custom filter where
it will only pick up, for example, January related dates i.e. Jan-04, Jan-05
& Jan-06.

How do I do this? I tried to do a custom with the "Begins With" parameter
but it doesn't return anything. Is this because the column is formatted as
Date and the Begins with normally work with text fields? Please help.

Regards,
Shams.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ron,
Thanks for the quick response. I tried to use the Advanced Filter but I am
stumbling quite badly!

I am not sure how to enter the criteria formula. I looked at your website
link and tried to replicate it but it didn't work. So, what is month(A7)?
Why did you choose A7? I selected A1:A9 as my List Range and then used B1 as
the Date header and B2 as the formula. I am definitely missing a point here.

"Shams" wrote in message ...
Folks,
Here's a snapshot of a column:

Date
Jan-04
Feb-04
Mar-04
Jan-05
Feb-05
Apr-05
Jan-06
Mar-06

This column is formatted as Date. I am trying to do a custom filter where
it will only pick up, for example, January related dates i.e. Jan-04, Jan-05
& Jan-06.

How do I do this? I tried to do a custom with the "Begins With" parameter
but it doesn't return anything. Is this because the column is formatted as
Date and the Begins with normally work with text fields? Please help.

Regards,
Shams.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MONTH(A7)=1

A7 is the first date in the A column in my example

So if your first date is in A10 (A9 = header) then copy this formula in A2
=MONTH(A10)=1
Leave A1 empty and use A1:A2 as criteria

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Shams" wrote in message ...
Folks,
Here's a snapshot of a column:

Date
Jan-04
Feb-04
Mar-04
Jan-05
Feb-05
Apr-05
Jan-06
Mar-06

This column is formatted as Date. I am trying to do a custom filter where
it will only pick up, for example, January related dates i.e. Jan-04, Jan-05
& Jan-06.

How do I do this? I tried to do a custom with the "Begins With" parameter
but it doesn't return anything. Is this because the column is formatted as
Date and the Begins with normally work with text fields? Please help.

Regards,
Shams.