Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LARGE with text string

I have the following formula that works.

=INDEX(A34:D39,MATCH(LARGE($D$34:$D$39,4),$D$34:$D $39,0),1)

However when trying to change the the LARGE function to the SMALL
function I am running in to difficulty. The reason for the problem is
that the string the SMALL function is a text string. For example
4900-. 4900 with a trailing negative sign instead of a positive sign.
I need the SMALL to take the two highest digits beginning from the left
and then determine the smallest.

Thanks,

ep

--
edwardpestian
edwardpestian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33809

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try using a helper column where the text strings are converted to
numerical values, and then use this new column for your formula. For
example, enter the following formula in a column, let's say Column E,
starting at E34...

E34, copied down:

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("-",D34)),-SUBSTITUTE(D34,"-",""),SUBSTITUTE(D34,"+",""
)+0)

Then use this column for your formula.

Hope this helps!

In article
,
edwardpestian
wrote:

I have the following formula that works.

=INDEX(A34:D39,MATCH(LARGE($D$34:$D$39,4),$D$34:$D $39,0),1)

However when trying to change the the LARGE function to the SMALL
function I am running in to difficulty. The reason for the problem is
that the string the SMALL function is a text string. For example
4900-. 4900 with a trailing negative sign instead of a positive sign.
I need the SMALL to take the two highest digits beginning from the left
and then determine the smallest.

Thanks,

ep

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions