Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linking a Specific Word to a Specific Number

Hell all,

I have a workbook which contains several worksheets. Each worksheet
contains specific data as text with an ID number. i.e. Hip ID number
for this wrod is 2. The word Hip and its ID number are located in the
Body Part worksheet. There's a main worksheet named Map, which is
where I would like to be able to type the word Hip and have the ID
number automatically appear in a specific cell in the Map worksheet.

This is the Body Part worksheet

Body Part ID Body Part
1 Shoulder
2 Hip
3 Knee

This is the map:

Category ID Body Part Complaint Element Group Question
2 (cell b6) Hip (cell I6)

I would like to type the word Hip under body part on cell I6 and have
the number 2 appear automatically in the Category ID cell b6.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP is the answer but you will have to reverse your table i.e. have Body
Part in Column A and Body Part No in Column B

to use put this formula in cell B6:

=If(iserror(Vlookup(I6,Sheet2!A1:b100,2,0)),"Inval id Body
Part",Vlookup(I6,Sheet2!A1:b100,2,0))

Where A1 to B100 on Sheet2 contains your table.

Adjut ranges/sheets to suit.

HTH

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks

Let me see if I can explain this better.

1. I guess what I need to do is to associate a word i.e. HIP with a
number i.e. 2 and Knee with the number 3 and so on, which are located
in spreadsheet named Body Part. That's where I'm creating a list of
body parts with their respective ID numbers.

2. My working preadsheet is named Map, this is where I would like to
enter the word Hip on a specific cell and have the number 2 appear
automatically on another specific cell.

Sorry for the confusion and many thanks