Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use functions and calculations?

I'm having trouble with this conditional, nesting, logic and calculating
scenario.

If x is less than 500, then "$500." If x is between 500.01 and 650, then
"$650. If x is greater than 650, then "$650."

--Michael Manning
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It looks like if you're saying if it's less than 500, then 500, otherwise 650.

=if(a1<500,500,650)
or maybe:
=if(a1<=500,500,650)

Depending on what happens at exactly 500.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Michael in Georgia wrote:
I'm having trouble with this conditional, nesting, logic and calculating
scenario.
If x is less than 500, then "$500." If x is between 500.01 and 650, then
"$650. If x is greater than 650, then "$650."

Do you have a typo somewhere? First, your logic fails to cover the
case where x equals 500. Second, the case for 500.01-to-650 has the
same result as 650. Why not simply say "if x is greater than 500"?
Finally, do you truly want the __text__ "$500" and "$650", or do you
actually want the __number__ 500 and 650 formatted as dollars with no
decimal digits?

Making some assumptions about the answers, I suspect the following
might be what you are looking for, formatted as dollars with no decimal
digits (Format Cells Number Currency):

=if(x<=500, 500, if(x<=650, 600, 650))

That says that if x is greater than 500 but less than or equal to 650,
the result is $600. I am taking a WAG about that condition.