Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default *HELP* time formulas

It is simple enough I suppose. Time entry in 24 hr serial form. J8-I8 In
cell K8 IF =59/60,<=60/100. I cant figure out how to make it work
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you need to rewrite your post.

Biff

"Rookie" wrote in message
It is simple enough I suppose. Time entry in 24 hr serial form. J8-I8 In
cell K8 IF =59/60,<=60/100. I cant figure out how to make it work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay it is a little ambiguous. I am refining a spreadsheet that illustrates
indivdual production. It has a start time (cell I8) and a finish time (cell
J8). J8 minus I8 is total hours in cell K8. The amount of time to complete
is in decimal fraction form. The time input is in some portugese postal code
form (not my brain child, I just adopted it) to ease the entries on the sheet
(i.e. 0400, 0430, 0015, etc.). The crux of the problem is in cell K8 and
it's formula as follows (J8-I8)/100. This formula works just so long as it
is 60 minutes or more (0215-0315). IF the toal time time to completion is 59
minutes or less the formula must be (J8-I8)/60. I ask of you all, to give me
the correct function and arguements for what seems to be an easy function
that I cannot cypher.

"Rookie" wrote in message
It is simple enough I suppose. Time entry in 24 hr serial form. J8-I8 In
cell K8 IF =59/60,<=60/100. I cant figure out how to make it work

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Save yourself the headache of trying to manipulate "portugese postal code"
entries into a time.

What do these numbers represent?

0400 = is this supposed to be 4:00 AM ?
0430 = is this supposed to be 4:30 AM ?
0015 = is this supposed to be 12:15 AM ?

If the above is correct, then how do you enter:

4:00 PM
4:30 PM
12:15 PM

If you dump the "portugese postal code" method and use normal time entries
it's as simple as:

=(J8-I8+(J8<I8))*24

Or:

=MOD(J8-I8,1)*24 (format the cell as GENERAL)

If you insist on using the "portugese postal code" method see this:

http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Biff