Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using MATCH with dates

I'm having trouble getting a match with dates for some reason:

For example:

Jan-06 Feb-06 Mar-06 ...etc.
in A1-A3 etc...

And "Feb-06" in B1
(Note: The "Feb-06" is generated from a formula using DATEVALUE, MONTH
and DAY vs. just having a date typed into a cell)

=MATCH(B1,A1:A3,0)
should give me "2", but for some reason it doesn't find the matching
date.

Am I not able to use a reference to another cell as the lookup_value?
Even if I do type in direct dates into the reference cell, it doesn't
match.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KL KL is offline

...The "Feb-06" is generated from a formula using DATEVALUE, MONTH
and DAY vs. just having a date typed into a cell)

what is the formula exactly? I guess the result is text and then it is not
date and will not be found in a list of dates. If the result is really a
date then the day which is is hidden (and potentially the time) of the date
searched is not the same as the one in the list.

Regards,
KL