Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Combining COUNTIF and AND functions

Can anyone help me with the format for combining COUNTIF and AND in a
single function - I can't seem to get the format right.

What I want to do is COUNTIF range 'Issued_by' = A8 AND range
'Period_all' = 1

Thanks for any help

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(issued_by_range=A8),--(Period_all_range=1))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"david" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone help me with the format for combining COUNTIF and AND in a
single function - I can't seem to get the format right.

What I want to do is COUNTIF range 'Issued_by' = A8 AND range
'Period_all' = 1

Thanks for any help

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try: =SUMPRODUCT((Issued_by=A8)*(Period_all=1))
--
Max
Singapore
"david" wrote:
Can anyone help me with the format for combining COUNTIF and AND in a
single function - I can't seem to get the format right.

What I want to do is COUNTIF range 'Issued_by' = A8 AND range
'Period_all' = 1

Thanks for any help

David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi David,
I also had them same question. I tried your suggestion and it works
for me, only I need 3 conditions.
I have the following, but it is not working:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(JOINED=F273),--(JOINED<=F274),--(JOINED="*INT*"))

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Tahnks,
Colin

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36106

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(JOINED=F273),--(JOINED<=F274),--(ISNUMBER(FIND("INT",JOINED)
)))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"colin_b" wrote in
message ...

Hi David,
I also had them same question. I tried your suggestion and it works
for me, only I need 3 conditions.
I have the following, but it is not working:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(JOINED=F273),--(JOINED<=F274),--(JOINED="*INT*"))

Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Tahnks,
Colin

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bob,
Thanks for responding but this solution that you provided does not work
for me. I am counting for strings INT, e.g. SYS-INT-1496.
What I have is two columns of data, column A contains strings like the
example above, column b contains dates. The user can select 2 dates
from two list boxes at 2 cells.
I want to count the number of times the string appears between those
dates.
So my approach is:
count in the range A:B, where range is =Date1 AND <=Date2 AND contains
the string "*INT*"
Can you assist me with this?
Thanks in advance,
Colin

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi RD,
Thanks for your help. I tried this using ISNUMBER and ISTEXT but it
would not return the correct result either. Maybe I should try a
different approach.
Thanks,
COlin :)

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your explanation to Bob concerns me.

Are you perhaps using *entire* column references in your named ranges (A:A -
B:B)?

You *can't* do that with SumProduct.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"colin_b" wrote in
message ...

Hi RD,
Thanks for your help. I tried this using ISNUMBER and ISTEXT but it
would not return the correct result either. Maybe I should try a
different approach.
Thanks,
COlin :)

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav Dav is offline

It worked for me but you have specified the same name for your range of
dates and your string, I assume they are referencing the seperate
columns to work

Your date I also assume is a date and not a text string

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Folks,
Thanks to all of you for your assistance. I have not made my problem
clear... sorry.

I have a named area of cells (C2:C272 and D2:d272) called JOINED. This
contains two columns, one with dates (formatted to date) and one column
of strings.

I have two list boxes. Both contain the date column information.
These are located at F272 and F273.

So, when a user selects the From date (F272) and the To date (F273), I
want to return how many strings containing "INT" (or "SYS" etc) there
are in the JOINED columns between the chosen dates. I then use this
result for a graph.

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks again for you help,

Colin:)

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this,
With dates in Column C and strings in Column D:

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C272=F273)*(C2:C272<=F274)*(ISNUM BER(SEARCH("INT",D2:D272))

--

HTH,

RD

"colin_b" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since you mentioned using additional criteria for the string searches, you
could also reference a cell to contain that variable criteria, so that the
formula itself wouldn't have to be revised:

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C272=F273)*(C2:C272<=F274)*(ISNUM BER(SEARCH(F275,D2:D272)))
)

--

HTH,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Folks,
Thanks very much...this code works for me

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C272=F273)*(C2:C272<=F274)*(ISNUM
BER(SEARCH("INT",D2:D272))

This is exactly what I needed.

Thanks RD!!

Colin:) :) :)

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36106
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you both for the feed-back.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"colin_b" wrote in
message ...

Hi Folks,
Thanks very much...this code works for me

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C272=F273)*(C2:C272<=F274)*(ISNUM
BER(SEARCH("INT",D2:D272))

This is exactly what I needed.

Thanks RD!!

Colin:) :) :)

--
colin_b
colin_b's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558799

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Glad you got it working, David.
Thanks for the "wave".
It was getting kinda lonely down there <g