Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Advanced Question (that I really can't describe!)

I have a complex problem that it seems excel is not designed to do. I'm
hoping there is a workaround that you could help me with.

I have a workbook which is predicting future trends from historical
data. Without getting into too much detail, essentially this model has
now told me that there will be 15 people retiring within the next year.
Since these 15 people could come from any area, I need to select only
those who are the oldest from the data I am working with and list their
position somehow, or count them as 'retired'. This process would then
begin again for the next successive year and hopefully ignore those 15
from the previous year.

Assume for now that I have the positions listed in column A and ages in
column B. Something like this:

Driver 56
Garbageman 59
Street Performer 62
CEO 60
Gymnast 57
etc.

Assume my model has told me that 2 people will retire. By simply
looking at the data I can see quite quickly that the Street Performer
and CEO are most likely to retire based off of their age... however, in
real life I am working with a listing of 5000 bits of data and can't
just eyeball it. So is there a way to analyse that data and note or
display the retirees as:

1 Street Performer
1 CEO

and then have them removed for the next year (where the next year would
select the two oldest as Garbageman and Gymnast)...?

It's a bit of an odd question as the answer requires some creativity.
Does it sound possible within excel?

Thanks a ton!