Junior Member

Default Using the "$" as part of a cell reference

Could someone please explain in more detail the usage of above. I have seen this usage in:

=AVERAGE($6:$6) to yield a dynamic average across row 6. This does not seem to work in a Column setup. I am looking for more details, links, etc.

Thank You.
Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi the use of $ is to change a formula absolute to relatvie, you could use it
in a Column as =AVERAGE($A:$A) or in specific range or unique cell

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

--
awy32

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Recent posting by Kassie...........

The $ sign is used to make a cell address an
absolute one.

If you copy any formula that refers to a cell address, say =SUM(A1:A10) to
the next row, Excel changes the formula to read =SUM(A2:A11).
If however, you copy a formula reading =SUM($A1:A10) , Excel changes the
formula to
Copy down =SUM($A2:A11).
Copy right =SUM($A1:B10)
If you enter the formula as =SUM($A$1:A10), it will change to
Copy down =SUM($A$1:A11),
Copy right =SUM($A$1:B10)
The formula =SUM(A$1:A10, will change to
Copy down=SUM(A$1:A11),
Copy right =SUM(B$1:B10)
If you enter it as =SUM($A$1:$A$10), and you copy it to any other location
on your spreadsheet, it will still read =SUM($A$1:$A$10)
In other words, the $ sign in front of a column reference loks subsequent
copies to that column. The $ in front of a row reference, locks subsequent
copies to that row. You can also insert the $ before the latter parts of the
formula, to lock either the column or row reference, eg =SUM(A1:$A10), which
can change as follows: Copy down =SUM(A2:$A11)
Copy right =SUM(B1:$A10)

=SUM(A1:A$10) will change to
Copy Down =SUM(A2:A$10)
Copy right =SUM(B1:B$10)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:56:08 +0100, awy32
wrote:

Could someone please explain in more detail the usage of above. I have
seen this usage in:

=AVERAGE($6:$6) to yield a dynamic average across row 6. This does not
seem to work in a Column setup. I am looking for more details, links,
etc.

Thank You.
Alan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
L. Howard Kittle

Along with Gord's explanation you might want to see what the F4 key will do.
Type =A1, then before hitting Enter, hit the F4 key four times and notice
the reference changes.

HTH
Regards,
Howard