NN

Default return header as result in excel

How do I find the minimum of a range and return the header as the result?
Jason Morin

With values in row 2 and headers in row 1:

=INDEX(1:1,MATCH(MIN(2:2),2:2,0))

Array-entered.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

Aladin Akyurek

An Index/Match formula (see Jason's reply) will return the header
corresponding to the first instance of the minimum value. For example:

A1:C1 houses Jan, Feb, and Mar
A2:C2 houses 20, 40, 20

The answer will be Jan, while it should be: Jan and Mar.

The following link describes a formula system that takes care of the ties:

http://tinyurl.com/5txnx

How do I find the minimum of a range and return the header as the result?

Jason Morin

You're right. I habitually press ctrl/shift/enter on most
of my INDEX formulas w/out examining the need for it
first. Good catch.

Jason

.