Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lost in Excel

Default How to use condiational validation choices in same column?

I am putting together a list, and want to use validation features in most of
the Columns to limit choices for individuals to enter. My problem is that, a
choice for Column A, limits what choice you can use in Column B. For
instance, let's say Column A has two choices, "USA" or "Canada", based on
which is chosen, the next choice for "USA" chould be "New York", "Texas",
etc., whereas for "Canada", the next choice could be "Alberta" , "Ontario",
etc. Even using an equation doesn't seem to help, for how can I apply
=IF((A1)="USA",[Validation List for USA],IF(A1)="Canada",[Validation List for
Canada],"Please Pick Country in Column A")), when I still need to use the
list.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
excelent

try:
http://pmexcelent.dk/Val2.xls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lost in Excel

Thanks Excelent, appreciate the response.

I also found in the archives of validation discussion a website with very
similar instructions, in case anyone else needs this info.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xldataval02.html

Thanks very much.

"excelent" wrote:

try:
http://pmexcelent.dk/Val2.xls

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Herbert Seidenberg

How are your lists arranged?
Scenario 1:
USA Montana Billings
USA Montana Lewistown
USA Wisconsin Madison
USA Wisconsin Wausau
Canada Ontario Toronto
Canada Ontario Longlac
Canada Ontario Ignace

Scenario 2:
USA Ontario Madison
Canada Wisconsin Toronto
Montana Longlac
Billings
Ignace
Wausau
Lewistown

Please post example.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lost in Excel

Hello Herbert,

My list would be arranged as Scenario 1.

Once you pick USA (in column A), your only options for column B would be the
States, but I didn't take any further. However, it could have been, then
column c would be the City.

Once you define and validate the list, it worked fine.
http://www.contextures.on.ca/xldataval02.html

Not sure how to post the excel file, but visit the website and it explains
everthing in step by step detail.

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

How are your lists arranged?
Scenario 1: