Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jdmarsh

Default Can I protect an Excel spreadsheet, and use Outline functions?

I'm having trouble with some Excel functionality. I have a spreadsheet that
is heavily dependent on the Outlining functions, and being able to 'roll up'
data. It has many rows that are merged, and contains many functions, and I
want to protect the sheet. Unfortunately, if you protect the sheet, the roll
up capabilities of the Outline function are no longer available. You're
essentially stuck with whatever view was visible when you protected the
sheet. Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mallycat

I guess it depends on why you have protected the sheet. If it is to
prevent other people accidently changing cells and corrupting the
integrity of the spreadsheet, consider using the Password to Modify
option instead of the protection option. Select Tools\Options when you
save the sheet

Matt

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jdmarsh

Well, some of the cells should be user-editable at all times, and some should
not, and some should have hidden formulas, so I don't know that requiring a
password to modify anything on the worksheet is going to work. I'll give that
a try on Monday, though, and see if it helps. Thanks for the tip!