Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robert Maddox

Default Create multiple sheet tabs from multiple cells.

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JonR

Here's some code that will go down from A1 to A? (until it runs into an empty
cell) on the "Master" sheet and will create and name sheet according to what
is in each cell.

HTH

JonR

Sub NewSheet()

'This assumes the cells you wish to name the sheets after are in Column A
'on the "Master" worksheet.
'inX is a variable used to count down the rows.

Dim inX As Integer

Dim stName As String

inX = 1

Do Until Cells(inX, 1).Value = ""

stName = Cells(inX, 1).Value

Sheets.Add

ActiveSheet.Name = stName

Worksheets("Master").Activate

inX = inX + 1

Loop

End Sub

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The way this is written, it goes down Column A one cell at a time. Cell
references in VBA are Cells(row,column), and you can see in the do While loop
that the row is being incremented as each sheet is created.

If you have certain criteria that you want to meet, you could do it with If
statements or maybe a Select Case argument, depending on your needs. It
might help if you could send an example of what you're trying to do so I can
help meet your needs.
--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks. On my "master" sheet, I have a column labeled "People" in A$, with
the list starting in A5. Other users would input their data here so the list
could vary in length. I would like separate sheets generated with these names
so then the users could input results per "person" in their respective tabs.
This would include 3 columns... such as column one = "date" , column 2 =
"time", and column 3 = "result data". I think I figured out how to summarize
the data in a separate "summary" sheet by referring to the sheet name and
meeting multiple criteria (using this very helpful site), I just need this
last bit of info and I'm set! Of course if you can think of a better way to
do this, then please share. Thanks so much for you help!!
Anna

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Replace the line inX=1 with inX=5. Then when the code gets to the statement
Do While Cells(inX,1)...., it will start at the cell on Row(inX) Column(1),
which is A5.

The way it's written, this code will run until it hits a blank in column A.
If you need to skip a blank, or want to stop, start, or skip certian cells,
you'll need to add some If statements.

--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I must be missing something or just a Visual Basic dummy... I copied the text
from "Sub NewSheet()" to "End Sub" and replaced the "inX = 1" to "inX = 5" in
a Visual Basic module in my workbook. Now what? Dumb question, but how do I
get it to work?
Thanks in advanced for not laughing at me,
anna

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

At the top of your VB window, you'll see some buttons that look like controls
for the media player, with an arrow (to run), a square (to stop) and one with
two parallel bars to puasse (that one should be disabled if the code isn't
running).. Just click the "play" button.
--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cool. Thanks!
I don't suppose there is something you could write in this VB macro that
will put the headers in the sheets also? Such as A1 ="Date", B1="Time",
C1="Results" when the new sheets are created?
anna

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Insert these lines between the lines 'Activesheet.Name = stName' and
'Worksheets("Master").Activate'

Cells(1,1).Value = "Date"
Cells(1,2).Value = "Time"
Cells(1,3).Value = "Results"

--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

it shouldn't have done that, but here's a fix

put this line right after ActiveSheet.Name = stName

Worksheets(stName).Activate

--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Same problem. here's the macro (believe it or not I combined it with a button
on my "master" sheet... could this be casing the problem?)

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

'This assumes the cells you wish to name the sheets after are in Column A
'starting on row5 on the "Inputs" worksheet.
'inX is a variable used to count down the rows.

Dim inX As Integer

Dim stName As String

inX = 5

Do Until Cells(inX, 1).Value = ""

stName = Cells(inX, 1).Value

Sheets.Add

ActiveSheet.Name = stName

Worksheets(stName).Activate
Cells(1, 1).Value = "Date"
Cells(1, 2).Value = "Time"
Cells(1, 3).Value = "Results"

Worksheets("Inputs").Activate

inX = inX + 1

Loop

End Sub

Anna

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's possible. What I would do is put the macro into a separate module,
naming it something else like Sub New_Sheet()

then in the code for your command button, you'll just call the sub.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

New_Sheet

End Sub

When you have a subroutine denoted as 'private' the only sheet or module
that can "see" it is the one that it is attached to, in this case your master
sheet. That's probably what's messing you up.
--
HTH

JonR

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad to help

--
HTH

JonR

"anna" wrote:

Thanks! That works great!!!
Anna

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I'm missing something. I copied and pasted the code but it keeps
hanging up after adding the first worksheet. If I change the value of inX to
4 or 172 or some other number, it creates a worksheet for just that cell (A4
or A172) but stops with the follow error...

Run-time error "9":
Subscript out of range

Please help...

"Robert Maddox" wrote:

Is it possible to make multple worksheets from a selection of multiple cells?
This would mean a selection of 10 cells would generate 10 sheets titled with
the cell conent.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this construct by Dave Peterson.

Assumes the cells are in column A of Sheet1

Sub CreateNameSheets()

Dim ListWks As Worksheet
Dim ListRng As Range
Dim myCell As Range

Set ListWks = Worksheets("Sheet1")
With ListWks
Set ListRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
'or Set ListRng = Selection
End With

For Each myCell In ListRng.Cells
Worksheets.Add
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Name = myCell.Value
If Err.Number < 0 Then
MsgBox "Please fix: " & ActiveSheet.Name
Err.Clear
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Next myCell