Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
neilcarden

Default Help with Excel formula and Time...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to create an excel sheet which when someone inputs a start
time eg: 09:00, time for lunch: 1 hour, and length of shift: 7 hours,
it throws up the time they are due to finish ie: 17:00 - I know this is
relatively straight forward to work out in your head, but we have a lot
of new starters and a vast array of shifts and lunchtime options so
thought this would be a useful tool...

How do I go about setting up such a spreadsheet?
Thanks in advance...

Neil

--
neilcarden
neilcarden's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35623

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

=A1+(B1+C1)/24

where A1 is the start time, B1 the lunch hour value, C1 the shift hours

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"neilcarden" wrote
in message ...

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to create an excel sheet which when someone inputs a start
time eg: 09:00, time for lunch: 1 hour, and length of shift: 7 hours,
it throws up the time they are due to finish ie: 17:00 - I know this is
relatively straight forward to work out in your head, but we have a lot
of new starters and a vast array of shifts and lunchtime options so
thought this would be a useful tool...

How do I go about setting up such a spreadsheet?
Thanks in advance...

Neil

--
neilcarden
neilcarden's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=554029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jon Quixley

Hi Neil,

This is easiest if you keep to entering times as hours and minutes
rather than trying to be lazy and entering them as decimals.
Excel will recognise times when you enter them in the 00:00 format. So
to get a sheet to add times from a start time of 09:00, all you do is
enter this time (don't forget the colon that indicates hours*:*minutes)
in a cell, enter the hours (and minutes) next into the next column (eg
01:30 for an hour and one half for lunch). The next cell is for the
number of hours in the day (07:00) and finally add all these up should
result in 17:00

Cheers
Jon

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
neilcarden

Excellent - I thought it would be easier than I thought it would be.

Cheers
Neil