Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broer konijn

Default #N/A in mode worksheet function

Can anyone telle me when #N/A occurs as the answer to an worksheet
function?

If I try to find the mode of the list of codes below, I get #N/A

7372
7379
7379
7379
7372
7375

Does this have anything to do with the first two digits being equal?
How do I workaround? I am trying to find the most frequent ocurring
code in the list. By the way, how does the mode work if out of 4
values, both pairs of two are equal?

Thanx!

--
broer konijn
broer konijn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34402

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Larry S

I tried your group/list of numbers and MODE returned 7379 as expected.
Looking at EXCEL's internal help "If the data set contains no duplicate data
points, MODE returns the #N/A error value." I tested this on your list of
number and deleting the duplicate 7379 resulted in 7372. When I deleted the
duplicate 7372, I got the #N/A.

"broer konijn"
wrote in message
news:broer.konijn.29gh30_1150395531.5036@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Can anyone telle me when #N/A occurs as the answer to an worksheet
function?

If I try to find the mode of the list of codes below, I get #N/A

7372
7379
7379
7379
7372
7375

Does this have anything to do with the first two digits being equal?
How do I workaround? I am trying to find the most frequent ocurring
code in the list. By the way, how does the mode work if out of 4
values, both pairs of two are equal?

Thanx!

--
broer konijn
broer konijn's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=552394

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Maybe the numbers are being recognized as text values by Excel. Try the
following...

1) Select an empty cell

2) Edit Copy

3) Select your range of cells

4) Edit Paste Special Add Ok

Does this help?

In article ,
broer konijn
wrote:

Can anyone telle me when #N/A occurs as the answer to an worksheet
function?

If I try to find the mode of the list of codes below, I get #N/A

7372
7379
7379
7379
7372
7375

Does this have anything to do with the first two digits being equal?
How do I workaround? I am trying to find the most frequent ocurring
code in the list. By the way, how does the mode work if out of 4
values, both pairs of two are equal?

Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
broer konijn

Domenic,

I found out, just before your advice, that indeed the data was text. I
swithed off the announcements in Excel, therefore I did not notice. The
data is exported from a database, therefore it was apparently tekst from
a certain point. I discovered it when I used F enter in each cell.
Ctrl+C alt+es (paste special) of values would work indeed.

Thanks! I credit you for solving this!

Domenic Wrote:
Maybe the numbers are being recognized as text values by Excel. Try
the
following...

1) Select an empty cell

2) Edit Copy