Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CMWalsh

Default Intersection of row and column based on input

I have a problem. I am trying to get a function to return a value from a
table on a different worksheet. Here is a small example of my spreadsheet:

Table with Data Keyed in called Input Sheet:
May-06 Jun-06 Jul-06 Aug-06
Rev
S&W
T&E
Promo

My Output sheet is called By Month. The column and row headings are the
same. What I am looking to do is have the output sheet find the data on the
input sheet based on what month I specify. For instance, on the output sheet,
cell A3 is where I put in what month I want the formula to reference. So if I
type in Jan-06, I want the formula to see that and return the value where Rev
interesects with Jan-06 from the input sheet.

Hopefully you can help me out.

--
Thanks,

Chris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb Reinhardt

You'll probably need to use VLOOKUP and MATCH to get this to work. I don't
have time to describe it more. Maybe someone else will.

"CMWalsh" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Assumptions:

Input!B1:E1 contains the date

Input!A2:A5 contains the category, such as Rev, S&W, etc.

'By Month'!A3 contains the date of interest

'By Month'!B3 contains the category of interest

Formula:

On your sheet named 'By Month'...

=INDEX(Input!B2:E5,MATCH(B3,Input!A2:A5,0),MATCH(A 3,Input!B1:E1,0))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
CMWalsh wrote:

I have a problem. I am trying to get a function to return a value from a
table on a different worksheet. Here is a small example of my spreadsheet:

Table with Data Keyed in called Input Sheet:
May-06 Jun-06 Jul-06 Aug-06
Rev
S&W
T&E
Promo

My Output sheet is called By Month. The column and row headings are the
same. What I am looking to do is have the output sheet find the data on the
input sheet based on what month I specify. For instance, on the output sheet,
cell A3 is where I put in what month I want the formula to reference. So if I
type in Jan-06, I want the formula to see that and return the value where Rev
interesects with Jan-06 from the input sheet.

Hopefully you can help me out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CMWalsh

Domenic,
This seems as if this should have worked. However, I am still geting the N/A
error message.
--
Thanks,

Chris

CMWalsh wrote:

I have a problem. I am trying to get a function to return a value from a
table on a different worksheet. Here is a small example of my spreadsheet:

Table with Data Keyed in called Input Sheet:
May-06 Jun-06 Jul-06 Aug-06
Rev
S&W
T&E
Promo

My Output sheet is called By Month. The column and row headings are the
same. What I am looking to do is have the output sheet find the data on the
input sheet based on what month I specify. For instance, on the output sheet,
cell A3 is where I put in what month I want the formula to reference. So if I
type in Jan-06, I want the formula to see that and return the value where Rev
interesects with Jan-06 from the input sheet.

Hopefully you can help me out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

If you'd like, I can take a look at your file. Or, if you'd prefer, I
can email you a sample file...