Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K. Gwynn

Default tagging unique items in a list

Before posting this message I read through all the posts for finding and
counting unique entries and tried most of the responses and still have not
found a solution that works for my situation.

So here goes:

I have a spreadsheet with 700+ entries. The records I need to sort on look
like this:
CMMI2_CM_GP2_08_G
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P_PD_PP_H
CMMI2_CM_GP2_10_P_ND_PP_H

In the example above the duplicates are
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P
CMMI2_CM_GP2_09_P_PD_PP_H

So when I've tried using Advanced Filter, the two that look exactly the same
are filtered out, but the one with the "PD_PP_H" extension is not.

[No, that extension cannot be filtered out ahead of time and yes, it is
important to the data set].

Now what? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it appears that you are not interested in
finding duplicate entries, but only those entries that are duplicate for the
first specific number of characters. In your examples that's 17 characters.
In other words, not counting what you refer to as the extension. Is that
right?
You would need VBA for that but you don't say what you want done with
entries that are found to be duplicates (for the first 17 characters). Do
you want duplicates highlighted? Moved? Copied? All the entries that are
duplicates or do you want to leave one? HTH Otto
"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K. Gwynn

Yes, I am interested in only finding the entries that are unique. But its not
always the same number of characters. The second set of characters is
sometimes as many as four characters long. The stuff at the end could be as
short as 3 characters or as long as 5 extra characters.
Once identified, I need to have the unique entries moved to another column
so I can work just with them.

"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

You say the second set of characters can have different lengths. What about
the first set, the set of 17 characters in your example?
Also, you say you want the unique entries "moved". Not copied but moved?
Otto

"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K. Gwynn

okay: the entries in my data set can have anywhere between 17 and 27
characters.
The entries are broken into character strings by the underscore character.
Two groups of character strings are important: those that identify the entry
as belonging to a particular subgroup and those that then determine whether
within that subgroup that entry is unique.

Each subgroup where we determine if one entry is different from another is
identified by the characters in positions 7 through 12 or 7 through 14. The
subgroup that determines whether an entry is unique within that subgroup is
either the last character or starts 8 to 9 characters from the right.

Here's another example:
(1) CMMI2_MA_SP2_04_P_ND_PP_H
(2) CMMI2_PMC_GP2_01_G
(3) CMMI2_PPQA_GP2_01_P
(4) CMMI2_PPQA_GP2_01_P_PD_PP_H

In this example there are three subgroups: line 1; line 2; line 3 & 4 each
represent unique subgroups. Because lines 1 & 2 only have one entry in their
respective subgroups, they are both unique. The last 8 characters of line 4
(and really line 1) are always superfluous. Therefore, to determine if
entries 3 & 4 are duplicates we move past those characters and look at the
last character in line 3 and what would be the last character in line 4 if
the group of 8 €śextra€ť characters were removed from line 4. When viewed in
that way, we see that these entries are duplicates and we only need to keep
one entry (doesnt matter which). We now have three unique entries to move to
our new column:
(1) CMMI2_MA_SP2_04_P_ND_PP_H
(2) CMMI2_PMC_GP2_01_G
(3) CMMI2_PPQA_GP2_01_P

I want to copy the unique set to a new column, not move. I need to keep the
original set of data.

"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Otto Moehrbach

You can see for yourself that the variation in what number character means
what makes your explanation too difficult to follow for anyone but you. Do
this. Copy the whole column of these entries into Column A of a new sheet
starting with A1. Then select all the cells that have entries in this new
sheet. Now click on Data - Text to columns. Select delimited. Click the
"Other" box and insert the underscore character. Select Text. Click on OK.
This puts each piece of each entry into a separate column. Now explain how
to determine if a row is unique. Don't get into groups and subgroups.
Stick with columns, Column A means this, Column B means that, and so forth.
I know that what you explained makes sense to you, but you have to realize
that you are in the minority on this. What you want to do is very easy for
Excel to do, if I knew what you wanted.
Ignore the fact that now all of your entries are distributed throughout a
bunch of columns, one piece per column. Excel can put this egg back
together again very easily. HTH Otto
"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

the group of 8 "extra" characters were removed from line 4. When viewed in

"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K. Gwynn

Actually, I've done that too! I guess I then need to put back into a single
column the areas that form the "uniqueness"? I was trying to avoid all those
extra steps, but I guess there isn't any way to do that.

"K. Gwynn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
K. Gwynn

Thanks for pushing me to think! I got a solution -- it may not have been
exactly what I had wanted (its more steps than I wanted) but I think its
going to work for us.

Thanks again.