Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Anna

Default count criteria excell

I have student names in column 1, graduation date in column 2, and
participation in various school clubs (indicated by an astrics) in columns
3-6. I want a formula that will count the number of students in each club per
year (eg How many students were in club x (column 3) in 1998?)

I have tried to set up dcount and count if formulas, but I'm not getting
something right. Any help, anyone??? Your time is really appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
duane

with some data in a5:f7 (col a names, col b year, col c:f with some "*"), and
listing year desired in cell b9, I used this formula to count occurrances of
"*" in c5:c7, where year in b5:b7 was <= year in cell b9

=SUMPRODUCT(($B$5:$B$7<=$B9)*(C$5:C$7="*"))