Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
VegasBurger

Default Excel worksheet functions question.

Basically I am new to excel but I am trying to have it where when someone
inputs a certain number from a list of numbers that it will put in the proper
"x's" in the column on the sheet. I have put the list of numbers and the X's
that belong to those numbers in columns on sheet 2 but I can't seem to get it
to show up on sheet 1 and I am sure I am using the wrong commands too.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SimonCC

On Sheet2, make sure your list of numbers is in the first column, and the X's
are in the second column.

In Sheet1, type a number in cell A1, and in A2 enter:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
and you should get the corresponding number of X's if the number you entered
in A1 matches a value in column A of Sheet2.

-Simon

"VegasBurger" wrote:

Basically I am new to excel but I am trying to have it where when someone
inputs a certain number from a list of numbers that it will put in the proper
"x's" in the column on the sheet. I have put the list of numbers and the X's
that belong to those numbers in columns on sheet 2 but I can't seem to get it
to show up on sheet 1 and I am sure I am using the wrong commands too.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
VegasBurger

Ok, let me see if I can put this better and I apologize for my confusion. On
sheet1 on column E I have the people input a number that I wish to reference
on Column A on sheet2. When the number matches on sheet1 matches the number
on sheet2 in column A, I want it to place what the X's from Sheet2 column B &
C into Sheet1 column C & D.

Each number will have either an X or a blank cell that corresponds to the
individual number on sheet2. (ex: A5 300 X X A6 301 X - A7 302
- X, etc...)

"VegasBurger" wrote:

Basically I am new to excel but I am trying to have it where when someone
inputs a certain number from a list of numbers that it will put in the proper
"x's" in the column on the sheet. I have put the list of numbers and the X's
that belong to those numbers in columns on sheet 2 but I can't seem to get it
to show up on sheet 1 and I am sure I am using the wrong commands too.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SimonCC

Let me make sure I got it right, so in Sheet2 A5=300, B5=X, C5=X, A6=301,
B6=X, C6=(blank), A7=302, B7=(blank), C7=X and so on?

If I understand correctly this time, you should put in Sheet1 C1:
=VLOOKUP(E1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)

and in Sheet1 D1:
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:C,3,FALSE)

-Simon