Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Default Help with IF function

Hi everyone. You guys are always a lot of help when I start hitting a wall!
Hope someone can help me again.

I am running XP Pro, SP2, and Office Professional 2003.

I am designing an invoice template for my company.
In cell A1, we enter either UPS or LTL (freight truck) for the shipping
method.
In cell A2, we enter the total amount of the order.
In cell A3, we enter the freight charge.

However, if the order can ship UPS, and the invoice total is more than $250,
the freight is N/C. If less than $250, we manually enter a freight amount.

If the order must ship freight truck (LTL), and the invoice total is more
than $400, the freight is N/C. If less than $400, we manually enter a freight
amount.

I need a formula for cell A3.

I want it to return "N/C" if A2400 and A1="LTL", or if A2250 and A1="UPS".
In all other situations I want it to return a blank ("") cell which will
prompt us to enter a freight amount.

Have I got you totally confused? I hope not.

Every time I've tried to build the formula I get most of it to work, but one
condition ends up returning FALSE in A3, which I don't want.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
--
Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

=if(or(and(a2400,a1="LTL"),and(a2250,a1="UPS")), "N/C","")
This combines the various situations into a single test so there's no need
to nest the if functions. --Bruce

"Jim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bruno Campanini

"Jim" wrote in message

Hi everyone. You guys are always a lot of help when I start hitting a
wall!

[...]
I need a formula for cell A3.

I want it to return "N/C" if A2400 and A1="LTL", or if A2250 and
A1="UPS".
In all other situations I want it to return a blank ("") cell which will
prompt us to enter a freight amount.

It should be:
=IF(OR(AND(A2400,A1="LTL"),
AND(A2250,A1="UPS")),"N/C","")

Bruno

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michael M

Hi Jim

=IF(AND(A2400,A1="LTL"),"N/C",IF(AND(A2250,A1="UPS"),"N/C",""))

but what if A2 = 400 or 250 ??

IF this is the case change formula to:

=IF(AND(A2=400,A1="LTL"),"N/C",IF(AND(A2=250,A1="UPS"),"N/C",""))

HTH
Michael M

"Jim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim

Hey thanks Bruce, Michael, and Bruno. You guys saved my butt (and my brain!).
--
Jim

"Bruno Campanini" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

Hi everyone. You guys are always a lot of help when I start hitting a
wall!

[...]
I need a formula for cell A3.

I want it to return "N/C" if A2400 and A1="LTL", or if A2250 and
A1="UPS".
In all other situations I want it to return a blank ("") cell which will
prompt us to enter a freight amount.

It should be:
=IF(OR(AND(A2400,A1="LTL"),
AND(A2250,A1="UPS")),"N/C","")

Bruno

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM