Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen

Default =Now()

I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bearacade

Is the cell formated to display text? or General?

--
Bearacade

Bearacade's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35016
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551601

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Did you re-enter the formula after changing the format to General? Text
values remain as text until re-entered even if the Cell Format changes.

If that doesn't solve the problem, does the formula work in other cells on
the same sheet? Do other formulas work in that cell?

HTH,
Elkar

"Karen" wrote:

I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen

The cell was General when I entered the formula. The formula does NOT work
in other cells on the worksheet.

"Karen" wrote:

I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CarlosAntenna

Tools Options View tab uncheck Formulas

--
Carlos

"Karen" wrote in message
I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Does the formula work in other workbooks?

Do other formulas work in your workbook? Try =1+1. Does it display 2?
What about the =TODAY() function? Does that work?

If you press Ctrl+; does the current date appear?

Are there any Macros or VB Code in your workbook? There may be some code
preventing the formula from displaying?

Check your AutoCorrect Options. Make sure that =now() didn't somehow end up
on the "Replace text as you type" list.

I'm running out of ideas here. Perhaps the answers to the above questions
can point us in the right direction?

"Karen" wrote:

I have entered this formula into a cell formatted as General. It will not
show the date/time. It is showing the text of the formula.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Karen

Two possibles here.

1. View Formulas is enabled.

Hit CTRL + `(above Tab key) to toggle off/on.

2. The cell(s) was/were pre-formatted as Text.

Changing to General is not enough. You must hit F2 then ENTER key.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP