Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ADiscrete1

Default place a number in a cell

I have a column of numbers with blanks in some cells between the numbered
cells.

In the next column I have done an if/then statement when there is a blank
cell to pull a number above the blank cell but I need a formula to put the
number IN the blank cell.

Any Suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

One play ..

Assume source data is in col A, from row1 down
(col A contains data interspersed with "blank" cells)

Put in B1:
=IF(ROW(A1)COUNT(C:C),"",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL(C: C,ROW(A1)),C:C,0)))

Put in C1:
=IF(TRIM(A1)="","",ROW())

Select B1:C1, fill down to the last row of data in col A

Col B will extract the data in col A, with all data neatly bunched at the
top (w/o intervening blank cells)
--
Max
Singapore
"ADiscrete1" wrote:
I have a column of numbers with blanks in some cells between the numbered
cells.

In the next column I have done an if/then statement when there is a blank
cell to pull a number above the blank cell but I need a formula to put the
number IN the blank cell.

Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ADiscrete1

Thank You, Max -

Did not quite get desired effect, but maybe based on what you gave me I can
get there.

Best -

"ADiscrete1" wrote:
I have a column of numbers with blanks in some cells between the numbered
cells.

In the next column I have done an if/then statement when there is a blank
cell to pull a number above the blank cell but I need a formula to put the
number IN the blank cell.

Any Suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"ADiscrete1" wrote:
Thank You, Max - Did not quite get desired effect,
but maybe based on what you gave me I can get there.

Sorry about that. On 2nd reading, think Debra's page (below)
is a closer fit to your orig post:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

Excel -- Data Entry -- Fill Blank Cells
Fill Blank Cells