Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JohnH

Default Datedif using cell references Excel 2000

I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function. I've formated 2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

The first date must be earlier than the second date. Try
=DATEDIF(A1,B1,"m")

See www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm for more information.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"JohnH" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function.
I've formated 2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general
I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

From Chips' site http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

=DATEDIF(Date1,Date2,Interval)

Date1 must be less than (earlier) or equal to Date2. Otherwise, =DATEDIF
will return a #NUM! error. If either Date1 or Date2 is not a date, =DATEDIF
will return a #VALUE! error.

By the way:
You do not need to format cells before entering dates. Just type the data
as, for example, 1/1/2002 and Excel recognizes a date.

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"JohnH" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function. I've formated
2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi John, datedif calculates de difference of the two dates, but the formula
must be

DATEDIF(INITIAL DATE,LAST DATE,TYPE OF DIF)

Try to put Datedif(a1,ba,"m")

hope this helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"JohnH" escreveu:

I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function. I've formated 2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

For case earlier/later dates aren't ordered column-wise
=DATEDIF(MIN(A1,B1),MAX(A1,B1),"m")

Arvi Laanemets

"JohnH" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function.
I've formated 2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general
I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Try reversing the order of b1 and a1. In the test I tried, that's how I got
rid of the #num error.
Kevin Vaughn

"JohnH" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2000 and trying to use the datedif function. I've formated 2
columns as date m/dd/yyyy and left the formula column general I'm entering
dates
A1: 1/1/2002
B1: 1/1/2005

I'm entering the formula in C1
=datedif(b1,a1,"M")

I'm looking for the nmber of months between 2 dates

I get #NUM! for a result.

Thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

That's weird. I could have sworn when I looked at this question, there were
no replies. Then I replied and I see like 8 people have already answered.
--
Kevin Vaughn