Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rbul1

Default Excel Data Sort in Excel2000

Can I retain blank rows within an Excel worksheet sort?
I have a worksheet containing single rows of data alternated with blank cell
rows for readability.
I would like to do a data sort on the name column and retain the alternate
blank rows, is this possible?

Thanks, Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Just a thought....

Instead of inserting new rows just to add space,
select the data range and increase the row heights
<format<row<height...double the current height.

That creates the same effect while making it easier to navigate through the
data list and adding no complications to sorting.

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"rbul1" wrote:

Can I retain blank rows within an Excel worksheet sort?
I have a worksheet containing single rows of data alternated with blank cell
rows for readability.
I would like to do a data sort on the name column and retain the alternate
blank rows, is this possible?

Thanks, Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Cone

Another way is to copy the sort column to an empty adjacent column.
Then in the new column, use John Walkenbach's technique shown here...
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip040.htm
to fill in the blank cells.
Sort on the new column and then delete it.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA