Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PA

Default Average non zero values

I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and some with zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered, but no go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

Your formula works as long as it is array-entered. Are you sure
you've array entered it? What result do you get?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and
some with zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros
from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered,
but no go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

I believe the OP has to change it to

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A44<0,A1:A44))

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and some with
zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered, but no go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

That was my initial thought -- the extra parentheses -- but the
formula worked both with and without the parens.I tested in Excel
2003. Perhaps an earlier version would have problems with the
extra parens.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in
message ...

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and
some with zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros
from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed
entered, but no go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

I believe it is the syntax, OP's formula is

=IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44))

which will work if A1 is neither zero nor blank, if A1 is blank or 0 it will
return FALSE
If the OP got FALSE he must have a zero in the first cell

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and some with
zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered, but no
go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Hi Folks,

I use Excel 2000 and only Peo's formula works correctly.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"PA" wrote in message
Thanks Peo, that does it.

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and some

with
zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros from

the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered, but no

go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

=SUMIF(A1:A44,"<0")/COUNTIF(A1:A44,"<0")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"PA" wrote in message
I recall reading this and now cant find it.
A column of data with numerical values, some empty cells and some with

zero's.
I need to calculate the average, but supress cells with zeros from the
calculation.

I tried =IF((A1:A44)<0,AVERAGE(A1:A44)) arrayed entered, but no go.

Suggestions welcomed, and my thanks.
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson