Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
sharonm

Default Modify Excel Formula

Hello,
I was not sure which Excel Group this should be asked in, so sorry if this
is the wrong one.

If I have a column of values, how can I create a formula in each cell to be
value * an absolute cell in the worksheet. For example I have:

345
367.45
241.67

I want to have:

=345 * $x$2
=367.45 * $x$2
=241.67 * $x$2

I want the formula in the cell when I am done which would refer to the same
cell (x2) as opposed to having just a total number. And I was hoping I could
do this without hitting F2 and editing each cell manually since my actual
column is much larger.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Find an empty cell.
Put =$x$2 in that cell
Select that cell
edit|copy

Select the column of numbers
Edit|paste special|check multiply

Clean up that helper cell with =$x$2 in it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
robotlust

hi,
I think what you mean is you want to "do the math" in 1 cell and then
apply the "math" in all the relevant cells.

Step one.
given your starting point is A1.

Select cell B1, type "=A1*2", then hit Enter.
You cell value changes.

Step two.
copy the formula
Select cell B1 and move your cursor to the bottom right hand corner of
the cell until the cursor changes to a black + sign.
Depress the left mouse button and drag the selection down as far as you
need to go... you will see a dark grey border as you drag the selection
and this is how you know it copying down...
When you reach the end of the range let go of the mouse button

Done.

--
robotlust
robotlust's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34140