Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Barb

Default @vlookup returns the formula instead of the value - why?

I am using an @vlookup to return a "Y" or an "X" value back. When I try to
change this function, instead of getting a "Y", "X" or blank cell, the
formula is what shows in my cell vs the text I want returned. When I
originally set up the fx in this spreadsheet, it was fine. It wasn't until I
needed to edit each month that I have this problem. Even it I delete the fx
and re enter, I still get the formula returnevs the value. See Below what
comes back in my cell. The Y's are correct. Not sure why the formula is
returned vs a Y, N or blank cell. Not sure if there is something I need to
turn off or on. I looked in the tools - options and did not see anything.

=VLOOKUP($B15,'Station Rep Guide'!$C$3:$k$1089,8,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Your cell is probably formatted as text. Try chaning the format to General,
then re-enter your formula.

HTH,
Elkar

"Barb" wrote:

I am using an @vlookup to return a "Y" or an "X" value back. When I try to
change this function, instead of getting a "Y", "X" or blank cell, the
formula is what shows in my cell vs the text I want returned. When I
originally set up the fx in this spreadsheet, it was fine. It wasn't until I
needed to edit each month that I have this problem. Even it I delete the fx
and re enter, I still get the formula returnevs the value. See Below what
comes back in my cell. The Y's are correct. Not sure why the formula is
returned vs a Y, N or blank cell. Not sure if there is something I need to
turn off or on. I looked in the tools - options and did not see anything.

=VLOOKUP($B15,'Station Rep Guide'!$C$3:$k$1089,8,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Hi Barb,

Maybe if you delete your formula and the right click on the cell. Chose
Format Cells - Number - Generel.
Then Re-type your formula.

Regards,
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RJ

Try using the keystroke combination of

<Ctrl + <`

Hold control and hit the tilda key. The tilda key is located above the tab
key on the left side of the keyboard. This keystroke combination will display
the formulas in the cells rather than the results of the formulas. Might be
worth trying.