Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jess

Default Please help...

Hi...well here's my problem..and i need the solution asap.the columns below
are in one sheet.what i want is the weekly total for each account number
specific to each laborcode.eg=for account 1000,i want to calculate the weekly
total for labor codes 5006 and 5000. All in another sheet.

A B C
Accno LaborCode Weekly Total

1000 5006 39.5
2001 5006 4.5
2002 5000 2.5

1000 5006 29
2002 5006 11
2001 5000 1

I want my result to look like this but in another sheet or even the same
sheet.

LC 1000 2000 2001

5000 ? ? ?
5001
5006

Please get back to me anyone..thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

You should be able to get what you're asking for by using a Pivot Table.

Try this....

<Data<Pivot Table
Use: Excel
Select your data
Click the [Layout] button

ROW: Drag the LaborCode field here
COLUMN: Drag the AccNo field here
DATA: Drag the Weekly Total field here
If it doesn't list as Sum of Weekly Total...dbl-click it and set it to Sum
Click [OK]
Select where you want the Pivot Table...and you're done!

That will create the kind of table you described.

To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

For much more information on how to use Pivot Tables, See Debra Dalgleish's
contirbution to Jon Peltier's website:

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jess" wrote:

Hi...well here's my problem..and i need the solution asap.the columns below
are in one sheet.what i want is the weekly total for each account number
specific to each laborcode.eg=for account 1000,i want to calculate the weekly
total for labor codes 5006 and 5000. All in another sheet.

A B C
Accno LaborCode Weekly Total

1000 5006 39.5
2001 5006 4.5
2002 5000 2.5

1000 5006 29
2002 5006 11
2001 5000 1

I want my result to look like this but in another sheet or even the same
sheet.

LC 1000 2000 2001

5000 ? ? ?
5001
5006

Please get back to me anyone..thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jess

THANK YOU RON!

Well yes!thats a big help..which got me wondering is there a way to do it
without using a pivot table..n perhaps even maintaining the result in
another sheet within the same workbook?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Jess:
I'd stick with the Pivot Table approach. You can locate the Pivot Table on
another sheet, plus, if you base it on a Dynamic Range Name it will pick up
any additions/changes to AccNo or LaborCode automatically.

IMHO...The formulaic alternative, while possible, adds an unnecesary level
of complexity and volatility to the structure. Unless, of course, the AccNo's
and LaborCodes never change...or....you don't mind remembering to manually
enter the changes to the report sheet. In that case, a SUMPRODUCT function
approach would probably work.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Jess" wrote:

THANK YOU RON!

Well yes!thats a big help..which got me wondering is there a way to do it
without using a pivot table..n perhaps even maintaining the result in
another sheet within the same workbook?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jess

Thanks so much Ron.You've helped greatly..Hoping to learn some more.I also
tried the sumproduct function.Got the results i was hoping for..and am
referring to that sheet containing the values i need.Trying to sum it up in a
report..coz i have to present it....if you have any ideas how i can present
reports in excel in a presentable method..i would appreciate it more.

Have a nice day