Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Julie

Default $ or !

How are $ and ! used with cells in Excel functions? I know they have
something to do with whether a reference cell is fixed or moves when the
function is copied, but I can't find anything specific in the help menu.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
WBTKbeezy

Hi Julie:

The Dollar sign is (as you thought) a function to help lock a reference.
Say you have a formula in A1 that is sum(a2:a5) and you want to put that sum
as well in b1. If you drag it over, excel intuitively changes your formula.
If you put a dollar sign before both the A's it will lock the formula when
you drag it. A dollar sign in front of the number locks the number
reference, in front of the letter locks the letter reference or in front of
both locks the reference to a specific cell.

The ! is used when referring to a different tab.

Hope that isn't too confusing.