Sivsy

Default Count the occurance of upper or lower case letters

Is there a way to distinguish between and count the occurance of lower and
upper case letters in an array ? eg If I have a series of columns populated
with either uppercase "S" or loercase "s", can i use a formula to count the
occurance of each type ?

Bob Phillips

Sivsy,

This will count cells starting with a lower case s

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND("s",LEFT(A1:A18,1)))))

If you want only s, then use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND("s",LEFT(A1:A18,1)))),--(LEN(A1:A18)=1))

--

HTH

RP

"Sivsy" wrote in message
Is there a way to distinguish between and count the occurance of lower and
upper case letters in an array ? eg If I have a series of columns

populated
with either uppercase "S" or loercase "s", can i use a formula to count

the
occurance of each type ?

Ken Wright

Also if you just wanted a count of all the lowercase letters regardless of
what they are, then assuming no blanks

=SUMPRODUCT(--(CODE(A1:L100)=97))

--
Regards