Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dragon

Default Excel Formula

I'm trying to add multiple columns in a single row. I put the formula in the
box at AB29 and used =SUM(E29:AA29) but the total figure in AB29 is way off!
What should I do?
--
Dragon163
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Dragon wrote:
I'm trying to add multiple columns in a single row. I put the formula in the
box at AB29 and used =SUM(E29:AA29) but the total figure in AB29 is way off!
What should I do?
--
Dragon163

Check that what might look like numbers in the range E29:AA29 are
actually numbers - they might be text values. Try these formulae:

=COUNT(E29:AA29)
=COUNTA(E29:AA29)

Do you get the same results from each? One counts only cells containing
numeric values, whereas the second one counts all the cells. If they
are different then you have some cells which are text values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

I don't see anything wrong with your formula. My guess would be that some of
your numbers are text rather than numbers. Check the formatting of your data.

Also, you could try this:

=SUM(VALUE(E29:AA29))

Enter this as an array formula. Ctrl-Shift-Enter instead of just Enter. If
done correctly, you should see { } surrounding the formula in the Formula Bar.

HTH,
Elkar