Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
meegan

Default help with formula

I am trying to set up a formula that will automatically give me a sum, adding
onto the number before it from the coumn beside.
EXAMPLE

Column C Column D
428 15491
2866 SUM
so what i want to do is to be able to punch in 2866 and press tab or enter
and in column D i want what was in Column C to add with what is in Column D
above it. If that makes any sense. I would like for 2866 to be added to
15491 sot hat where SUM is written, the sum of those two numbers would
appear. I want this to happen down the whole column with lots of different
number being punched it. Can someone please help me? I am really new to
excel but I have to work on it all day long at my new job.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kcoakley

Hi Meegan,

Though I'm not sure this is what you're after, but you could use something
like this:

=if(c2="","",c2+d1)

Place that in cell D2 (where you have "SUM") and copy it down the column. If
there is no value in the cooresponding C column cell, the SUM will just be
blank (""). If there is a value in the C column, it will add it to the cell
above. Like this:

Column C ColumnD
428 15491
2866 18357
1 18358
2 18360
etc.

Let me know if I misunderstood!

Ken

"meegan" wrote:

I am trying to set up a formula that will automatically give me a sum, adding
onto the number before it from the coumn beside.
EXAMPLE

Column C Column D
428 15491
2866 SUM
so what i want to do is to be able to punch in 2866 and press tab or enter
and in column D i want what was in Column C to add with what is in Column D
above it. If that makes any sense. I would like for 2866 to be added to
15491 sot hat where SUM is written, the sum of those two numbers would
appear. I want this to happen down the whole column with lots of different
number being punched it. Can someone please help me? I am really new to
excel but I have to work on it all day long at my new job.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
meegan

Ok so what are the " " for?? Do i insert numbers in there or just leave it??
I tried copy and pasting the formula into the cells but nothing happened

"meegan" wrote:

I am trying to set up a formula that will automatically give me a sum, adding
onto the number before it from the coumn beside.
EXAMPLE

Column C Column D
428 15491
2866 SUM
so what i want to do is to be able to punch in 2866 and press tab or enter
and in column D i want what was in Column C to add with what is in Column D
above it. If that makes any sense. I would like for 2866 to be added to
15491 sot hat where SUM is written, the sum of those two numbers would
appear. I want this to happen down the whole column with lots of different
number being punched it. Can someone please help me? I am really new to
excel but I have to work on it all day long at my new job.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"meegan" wrote in message
I am trying to set up a formula that will automatically give me a sum,
adding
onto the number before it from the coumn beside.
EXAMPLE

Column C Column D
428 15491
2866 SUM
so what i want to do is to be able to punch in 2866 and press tab or enter
and in column D i want what was in Column C to add with what is in Column
above it. If that makes any sense. I would like for 2866 to be added to
15491 sot hat where SUM is written, the sum of those two numbers would
appear. I want this to happen down the whole column with lots of
different
number being punched it. Can someone please help me? I am really new to
excel but I have to work on it all day long at my new job.

In your cell D3, put
=C3+D2
and copy down the column.

If you want the answer to be blank until the input is given, then try
=IF(C3<"",C3+D2,"")
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kcoakley

The "" are to indicate a blank cell. If you put the formula in cell D2, it
reads like this: If C2 is blank, then make D2 blank, otherwise make D2 equal
to C2 + D1

Follow these steps:
1. Start with a blank worksheet
2. In cell C1 type: 428
3. In cell D1 type: 15491
4. In cell D2 type this formula: =if(c2="","",c2+d1)

After you hit enter, D2 will be blank because C2 is blank.

5. Now type 2866 in cell C2. You should see that D2 now shows 18357

You can now copy and paste the formula in cell D2 down the column. Becuase
you are using relative cell references, Excel will automatically update the
formula. For example, if you paste it to cell D3, it will read:
=if(c3="","",c3+d2)

Then you can continue typing values in column C and the sum in Column D will
update as new values are entered.

"meegan" wrote:

I am trying to set up a formula that will automatically give me a sum, adding
onto the number before it from the coumn beside.
EXAMPLE

Column C Column D
428 15491
2866 SUM
so what i want to do is to be able to punch in 2866 and press tab or enter
and in column D i want what was in Column C to add with what is in Column D
above it. If that makes any sense. I would like for 2866 to be added to
15491 sot hat where SUM is written, the sum of those two numbers would
appear. I want this to happen down the whole column with lots of different
number being punched it. Can someone please help me? I am really new to
excel but I have to work on it all day long at my new job.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kcoakley

You're welcome... I'm happy to help.

"meegan" wrote: