Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SchnidRoCK

Default How do I use a logical IF statement with TEXT in EXCEL

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SchnidRoCK

Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernie Deitrick

SchnidRoCK,

There is no worksheet function "isnum"

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SchnidRoCK" wrote in message
Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

sorry the mistake, ;-) my excel is in brazilian Portuguese...

regards

"Bernie Deitrick" escreveu:

SchnidRoCK,

There is no worksheet function "isnum"

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SchnidRoCK" wrote in message
Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SchnidRoCK

That fixed my problem thank you so much......

"Bernie Deitrick" escreveu:

SchnidRoCK,

There is no worksheet function "isnum"

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SchnidRoCK" wrote in message
Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)

hope it helps
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"SchnidRoCK" escreveu:

I am working in Excel. I am trying to place a numerical value in a cell if
another cell has the text HPU.

For example: Cell D4 has the text string "75hp Diesel HPU", I want $40.00
to be placed in Cell B2. This is based on the Cell D4 having the text "HPU".

Do I use compare, IF, IS or what. Excel Help did not help me too much. Who
knows maybe this can not be done.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

you are welcome, thanks for the feedback

"Bernie Deitrick" escreveu:

SchnidRoCK,

There is no worksheet function "isnum"

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("hpu",D4)),40,0)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"SchnidRoCK" wrote in message
Thank you Marcelo - but what appears in B2 is #NAME?. So I do not think it
worked. I copied and pasted the function from your response, so I know that
I got the function right.

"Marcelo" wrote:

on B2

=if(isnum(search("hpu",d4)),40,0)