Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DenDz

Default Copying and Pasting a cell with a constant number

I am attempting to create a mathamatical computation between two cells and
then copy and paste it. Lets say I have a date (1 Jun 06) in A1 and in the
"B" column, I have a minus number of days (example: -120, -90, -60, etc).
The math computation would look like this: =SUM(A1+B4) in column "C". This
would subtract the the number of days in B4 from the date of 1 Jun. If the
number in B4 were -5, then the date would equate to 27 May 06 in C-4. That
portion of this problem works. What doesn't work is if I copy the cell down
to C-5, it always changes the date in A1 which is my constant. How do I
stop A1 from automatically populating as A2 when I do the paste into C-5?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Matt Lunn

"DenDz" wrote:

I am attempting to create a mathamatical computation between two cells and
then copy and paste it. Lets say I have a date (1 Jun 06) in A1 and in the
"B" column, I have a minus number of days (example: -120, -90, -60, etc).
The math computation would look like this: =SUM(A1+B4) in column "C". This
would subtract the the number of days in B4 from the date of 1 Jun. If the
number in B4 were -5, then the date would equate to 27 May 06 in C-4. That
portion of this problem works. What doesn't work is if I copy the cell down
to C-5, it always changes the date in A1 which is my constant. How do I
stop A1 from automatically populating as A2 when I do the paste into C-5?

Select Cell C1. Click on A1 in the formula bar and then press F4. The A1
should turn to $A$1. This turns the cell reference to absolute and it stays
as it is when you copy down.

HTH
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

I don't really understand your problem - but I think it may lie in the
absolute/relative reference area. Go to help and check out Absolute/Relative
references and see if that helps. By the way, your 'sum can be simplified to
just =A1+B4

Hope this helps.
AndyB