Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
meegan

Default need help with drop box please!!

ok, I was asked to make a value, lets say AA have a drop box that means
mislocation of part. So that when you type AA you will have the drop box
come down telling you what it means. I have no idea how to do this though.
can someone plesae help me!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

You could use VLOOKUP to display the description corresponding to the value.

If value "AA" is entered in A1 then in B1 put:

=Vlookup(A1,sheet2!A1:B50,2,false)

In Sheet2 in columns A & B set up a table of Values (in column A) and
description (in columnB); change range to suit.

To allow for values not found use:

=if(iserror(Vlookup(A1,sheet2!A1:B50,2,false)),"", Vlookup(A1,sheet2!A1:B50,2,false))

HTH

"meegan" wrote:

ok, I was asked to make a value, lets say AA have a drop box that means
mislocation of part. So that when you type AA you will have the drop box
come down telling you what it means. I have no idea how to do this though.
can someone plesae help me!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
meegan

Ok i guess im just not that smart at using excel. Ok so someone will type in
AA. As soon as someone types in AA, my supervisor wants a drop box to come
down under AA stating what it means. I have the abbreviatiions and meanings
set up in A1=B1 order and they are in sheet 4 and im working in External,
which is the name of the sheet. So im trying to figure out how to do that

"meegan" wrote:

ok, I was asked to make a value, lets say AA have a drop box that means
mislocation of part. So that when you type AA you will have the drop box
come down telling you what it means. I have no idea how to do this though.
can someone plesae help me!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Change sheet2 to sheet4 in the VLOOKUP formula. In "External" A2 (assuming AA
is entered in "External" A1) put the Vlookup formula. When you type AA in
A1, description will appear in A2.

I don't see the need for dropdown box as you are not selecting the
description.

Sheet4 table will look like:
A B
AA Mislocation of parts