Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Default Summing

In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ardus Petus

IF(ISEMPTY(A1),MAX(A2:A13),A1)

Whenever A1 is not empty, you get the value in A1, else the max of A2:A13

Cheers
--
AP

"Rick" a écrit dans le message de news:
In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Ardus

Thanks for the quick response.

I made a typo below which changed the description of what I am trying to do.
A14 needs the highest value from either A1 or the sum of A2:A13

FYI.......I copied your formula but it produced #NAME? for a result. It
didn't like something about "ISEMPTY".

Any further thoughts?

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

IF(ISEMPTY(A1),MAX(A2:A13),A1)

Whenever A1 is not empty, you get the value in A1, else the max of A2:A13

Cheers
--
AP

"Rick" a écrit dans le message de news:
In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Marcelo
I am not sure what your asking. If it's what version of Excel it's 2003 SP2

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

IF(ISEMPTY(A1),MAX(A2:A13),A1)

Whenever A1 is not empty, you get the value in A1, else the max of A2:A13

Cheers
--
AP

"Rick" a écrit dans le message de news:
In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Sorry the bad English...hehehe,
I was trying to ask you if your excel is in English or any foreig language

regards

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

IF(ISEMPTY(A1),MAX(A2:A13),A1)

Whenever A1 is not empty, you get the value in A1, else the max of A2:A13

Cheers
--
AP

"Rick" a écrit dans le message de news:
In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Excel is in English.
Any thoughts on a formula?

"Ardus Petus" wrote:

IF(ISEMPTY(A1),MAX(A2:A13),A1)

Whenever A1 is not empty, you get the value in A1, else the max of A2:A13

Cheers
--
AP

"Rick" a écrit dans le message de news:
In cell A14, I want to SUM cells A2:A13 and display the higher value of
A2:A13 or cell A1. What would the formula be?

FYI.....
In practice, if cell A1 has an entry, A2:A13 should not...and vice-versa.
However, it case of entries in A1 and some or all of A2:A13 I want to pick
the higher value for A1.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick wrote:
I made a typo below which changed the description of what I am
trying to do. A14 needs the highest value from either A1 or the
sum of A2:A13

I am glad you clarified that. Your first posting made no sense to me.
Try:

=if(isblank(A1), "", max(A1, sum(A2:A13)))