Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LeeHarris

Default Conditional Summing reminder/refresher (please!)

I've got about 500 rows of data with about a dozen columns. There are
about 100 "items" in the column "A", repeated several times each (hence
the 500 rows), with different rows of data each time

I want to be able to sum up each column for each entry in A

I've already used advanced filter - copy list - unique records only,
so I've set up a unique list of "items", I just want to now be able to
say "look through the 500 rows, every time you find THIS item name, sum
THIS column)

So I will end up with a unique list of items, and a sum total of the
values in each column for that item only

I couldn't remember how to use SUMIF properly, or maybe it needs an
array formula or that clever one SUMPRODUCT?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mikeopolo

Whilst I do use sumproduct at times, I feel that a pivot table with Col
A as the rows, and each of the other columns as the data field (sumof)
would be a better solution.

Regards
Mike

--
Mikeopolo
Mikeopolo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Lee

Sounds an ideal problem for using a Pivot Table.
For help on setting up Pivot Tables take a look at Debra Dalgleish's
site
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
and scroll to section on Pivot Tables

There is also an excellent video tutorial at Mike Alexander's site
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...es/pivot1.html

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"LeeHarris" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got about 500 rows of data with about a dozen columns. There are
about 100 "items" in the column "A", repeated several times each
(hence
the 500 rows), with different rows of data each time

I want to be able to sum up each column for each entry in A

I've already used advanced filter - copy list - unique records only,
so I've set up a unique list of "items", I just want to now be able to
say "look through the 500 rows, every time you find THIS item name,
sum
THIS column)

So I will end up with a unique list of items, and a sum total of the
values in each column for that item only

I couldn't remember how to use SUMIF properly, or maybe it needs an
array formula or that clever one SUMPRODUCT?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Sounds like SUMIF to me

=SUMIF($A:$A,$M1,B:B)