Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Roven

Default Frequency

Any ideas how to write this function or where I might go for help?

I have a column of 5 digit zip codes and column of frequecy of those zip
codes.
I would like to find the frequency of the first three digits of zip codes
(***xx)
I have started by multiplying by.01 but cannot figure out how to keep the
zero as first digit.
I started ? manually but realized I would be here all night. Too nice a day
for that.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

two steps:

1. In a helper column enter =LEFT(A1,3) and copy down.This should get the
first three digits

2. Apply the FREQUENCY() worksheet function
--
Gary's Student

"Fred Roven" wrote:

Any ideas how to write this function or where I might go for help?

I have a column of 5 digit zip codes and column of frequecy of those zip
codes.
I would like to find the frequency of the first three digits of zip codes
(***xx)
I have started by multiplying by.01 but cannot figure out how to keep the
zero as first digit.
I started ? manually but realized I would be here all night. Too nice a day
for that.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

cannot figure out how to keep the zero as first digit

Format the zip codes as TEXT so you can use a leading 0.

Format the criteria cell as TEXT.

criteria cell B1 = 018

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A20,3)=B1))

Biff