Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gordana Godzo

Default MONTH()

I need a very simple formula, but I just can not figure it out:
In cell A1 for example I have the month in format mmm-yy (May-06)
Cell B1 should return the next month (Jun-06)
How do I do that?

Thanks
--
Gordana Godzo
Head of Controlling & Budgeting

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Gordana

try on B1:

=Month(a1)+1

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Gordana Godzo" escreveu:

I need a very simple formula, but I just can not figure it out:
In cell A1 for example I have the month in format mmm-yy (May-06)
Cell B1 should return the next month (Jun-06)
How do I do that?

Thanks
--
Gordana Godzo
Head of Controlling & Budgeting
TITAN Group - Cementarnica "USJE" AD Skopje
Prvomajska bb, 1000 Skopje
tel: +389 2 2786 138
fax: +389 2 2782 535
e-mail:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

EDATE would do it, or if the date is ALWAYS the first of the month,
then

=A1+31

will force the date to move onto SOMEWHERE in the next month, and your
formatting will display the desired result.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Gordana

If the value in A1 is a date (vs text that looks like a date), try one of
these:

This uses the Analysis ToolPak add-in:
B1: =EOMONTH(A1,0)+1

OR

This one uses regular Excel functions:
B1: =DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1)

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Gordana Godzo" wrote:

I need a very simple formula, but I just can not figure it out:
In cell A1 for example I have the month in format mmm-yy (May-06)
Cell B1 should return the next month (Jun-06)
How do I do that?

Thanks
--
Gordana Godzo
Head of Controlling & Budgeting
TITAN Group - Cementarnica "USJE" AD Skopje
Prvomajska bb, 1000 Skopje
tel: +389 2 2786 138
fax: +389 2 2782 535
e-mail:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"Marcelo" wrote in message

"Gordana Godzo" escreveu:

I need a very simple formula, but I just can not figure it out:
In cell A1 for example I have the month in format mmm-yy (May-06)
Cell B1 should return the next month (Jun-06)
How do I do that?

Hi Gordana

try on B1:

=Month(a1)+1

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

Did you try your suggestion, Marcelo?
That gives the answer 6, not what the OP asked for.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"Marcelo" wrote in message
"David Biddulph" escreveu:

"Marcelo" wrote in message

"Gordana Godzo" escreveu:

I need a very simple formula, but I just can not figure it out:
In cell A1 for example I have the month in format mmm-yy (May-06)
Cell B1 should return the next month (Jun-06)
How do I do that?

Hi Gordana

try on B1:

=Month(a1)+1

regards from Brazil
Marcelo

Did you try your suggestion, Marcelo?
That gives the answer 6, not what the OP asked for.

just format as mmmm

So easier

Marcelo

I'll ask again, Marcelo, *did* you try your suggestion? [... or have you
looked at help on the MONTH function?]

With a date of May-06 in A1, MONTH(A1) returns the number 5, so your formula
=MONTH(A1)+1 gives the answer 6 [a number, not a date]. If you format the
cell as mmmm it displays as January [as the number 6 represents 6th January
1900 if you treat it as a date].

The OP wants the answer to be Jun-06.
--
David Biddulph