Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
blange

Default How do I sort a large column of data by length?

I have an excel spreadsheet with about 20,000 rows of domain names in one
column. I need to sort the huge list by the length of each domain name --
shortest first. Example:

d4.com
tyu.com
dh4.net
sjrh.com
h669.com
short.com
shorter.com

and so on........ all the way down through 20K names. Thank you for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 29 May 2006 09:39:02 -0700, blange
wrote:

I have an excel spreadsheet with about 20,000 rows of domain names in one
column. I need to sort the huge list by the length of each domain name --
shortest first. Example:

d4.com
tyu.com
dh4.net
sjrh.com
h669.com
short.com
shorter.com

and so on........ all the way down through 20K names. Thank you for any help!

If your domain names are in A2:A20000, then

B2: =LEN(A2)

Fill down to B20000

Sort on Column B.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:52:02 -0700, blange
wrote:

Thank you very much Ron!
Perfect results....

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron