Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
A. Blundon

Default IF Formala Doesn't Work

I have a simple formula that doesn't seem to work. In fact it gives me
the opposite answer I expect.

Cell G43 has been named "Fy_Deck". I've typed a value of 235 into this
cell.

My formula (in cell I43) is this: =IF(Fy_Deck<=300,"NG","OK")

The format for cell G43 is Number with 0 decimal places. The formula
in I43 returns "OK". I would have expected that since 235 is less than
or equal to 300, I would get a "NG".

Any ideas? This seems to be happening in a couple of locations in my
sheet.

AB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

This works for me. Check that Calculation is set to Automatic in
Tools/Options/Calculation tab

Andy.

"A. Blundon" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a simple formula that doesn't seem to work. In fact it gives me
the opposite answer I expect.

Cell G43 has been named "Fy_Deck". I've typed a value of 235 into this
cell.

My formula (in cell I43) is this: =IF(Fy_Deck<=300,"NG","OK")

The format for cell G43 is Number with 0 decimal places. The formula
in I43 returns "OK". I would have expected that since 235 is less than
or equal to 300, I would get a "NG".

Any ideas? This seems to be happening in a couple of locations in my
sheet.

AB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
A. Blundon

Calculation is set to automatic. Also I tried hiting F9 a so see if it
would recalc. Still no luck.

Thanks,
AB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

This works correctly for me as well. I don't know why it isn't working for
you, but heres some things to try.

Retype the number 235 in G43. If originally entered as text, changing
format to number may not change it until retyped.

What happens if you enter a number greater than 300? Does "OK" or "NG" show
up? What about other numbers? Does it ever change?

Do you have any Macros or VB code in your workbook? I have myself stopped
using code before, then forgotten about it, until weird results started
showing up later.

Recreate this in a new workbook and see what happens. If it works, this may
give you an indication whether it is an Excel setting, or a Workbook setting
that is causing the problem.

HTH,
Elkar