Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John L

Default Function for hours

Hi, Thanks for letting me join your site. I've been looking for a site
that will help me with excel. Thanks

Here is my first question: I need to calculate the amount of hours i
spent on a job. Example: I started at 2:17 AM and finished at 7:34 AM.
on the sheet the first time is in cell 13D and the end time is in 13H.
I need the total number of hours in cell 46A.
What is the formula??

Thanks again. John

--
John L
John L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34774

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=13H-13D
, or when your working time extends over midnight (but remains <24 hours)
=13H-13D+(13H<13D)
, and format as "hh:mm" - the result is displayed as time.

To use the result in other formulas as number of hours, multiply it with 24
(1 hour in excel is same as 1/24)

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"John L" wrote in
message ...

Hi, Thanks for letting me join your site. I've been looking for a site
that will help me with excel. Thanks

Here is my first question: I need to calculate the amount of hours i
spent on a job. Example: I started at 2:17 AM and finished at 7:34 AM.
on the sheet the first time is in cell 13D and the end time is in 13H.
I need the total number of hours in cell 46A.
What is the formula??

Thanks again. John

--
John L
John L's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier

In A46:
=(H13-D13)*24
and format as number

Dave

"John L" wrote:

Hi, Thanks for letting me join your site. I've been looking for a site
that will help me with excel. Thanks

Here is my first question: I need to calculate the amount of hours i
spent on a job. Example: I started at 2:17 AM and finished at 7:34 AM.
on the sheet the first time is in cell 13D and the end time is in 13H.
I need the total number of hours in cell 46A.
What is the formula??

Thanks again. John

--
John L
John L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34774
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John L

Thanks David Billigmeier and Arvi Laanemets,

I must be missing something. I applyed both formulas and it did not
work.
Let me explain what I'm trying to do.
I'm a Fire/Police Captain. When we are called out on a call i must log
the time of dispatch and the time we are finished with the call. The
times will vary from PM and AM. Sometimes the calls start in the PM and
finish in the AM. I need to log how much _time_ was used at the scene.
What I'm looking for is the have it show X Hours and X mins.

Example: Time at call: X Hours and X mins

Thanks John L

--
John L
John L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34774
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith

John,

The formulas that David and Arvi gave you are correct, and do work. So in order
to help you, we need to know what happened when 'it did not work.' What did
happen? What result was displayed? Also, tell us how you type in the start and
finish times (specifically, what characters do you type?).

Fred

"John L" wrote in message

Thanks David Billigmeier and Arvi Laanemets,

I must be missing something. I applyed both formulas and it did not
work.
Let me explain what I'm trying to do.
I'm a Fire/Police Captain. When we are called out on a call i must log
the time of dispatch and the time we are finished with the call. The
times will vary from PM and AM. Sometimes the calls start in the PM and
finish in the AM. I need to log how much _time_ was used at the scene.
What I'm looking for is the have it show X Hours and X mins.

Example: Time at call: X Hours and X mins

Thanks John L

--
John L
John L's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John L

Thanks Again,
I will be entering the times as...(example)..3:34 PM or 2:19 AM. Right
now if i enter a time without the AM or PM it puts in the AM for any
time i enter???

To enter the formulas that were given I click on the cell that I want
the answer to appear in, I go to " insert functions ". The insert
function box pops up. What do I pick from??

jOHN

|Filename: FIRE CALL REPORT.doc |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4813 |

John L
John L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34774
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

As calculating time difference doesn't involve any functions, then you need
to enter the formula directly into cell. Select the cell, and type there in
something like this:
=13H-13D+(13H<13D)
(start with equal sign, adjust cell references accordingly your data)

You have to ensure before, that the cell you'll type formula in isn't
formatted as text. And after you entered the formula, you maybe have to
format it - any valid time format will do.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"John L" wrote in
message ...

Thanks Again,
I will be entering the times as...(example)..3:34 PM or 2:19 AM. Right
now if i enter a time without the AM or PM it puts in the AM for any
time i enter???

To enter the formulas that were given I click on the cell that I want
the answer to appear in, I go to " insert functions ". The insert
function box pops up. What do I pick from??

jOHN

|Filename: FIRE CALL REPORT.doc |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4813 |

John L
John L's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John L

Arvi Laanemets, Thanks very much, It worked.
I entered what you said. Then i formatted the cell to CUSTOM/h:mm.
Now when i enter the time of dispatched and finished i get " Hour:mm
".
I can use this to let me know that the call lasted for (example) 3 hr
and 32 mins.

I'll have one more question. But first i have to see how to write it up
so it can be understood.

Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday weekend.

John L

--
John L
John L's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34774
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=545361

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM