Duncan Help

Default An in between lookup function

I am looking for a function that will allow me to compare a sales number to
lower column 1 and upper column 2, and return to me a percentage that's in
column 3. This will be used for commision percentage depending on $'s of
sales.
Peo Sjoblom

This formula will lookup a value that is greater or equal to the lookup value

=INDEX(C1:C20,MATCH(SMALL(B1:B20,COUNTIF(B1:B20,"< "&E1)+1),B1:B20,0))

where C1:C20 is the percentage and B1:B20 the upper level values. You might
also want to have a look at this if the commisions are variable

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Duncan Help" wrote:

I am looking for a function that will allow me to compare a sales number to
lower column 1 and upper column 2, and return to me a percentage that's in
column 3. This will be used for commision percentage depending on $'s of
sales.

Peo Sjoblom wrote...
This formula will lookup a value that is greater or equal to the

lookup value

=INDEX(C1:C20,MATCH(SMALL(B1:B20,COUNTIF(B1:B20," <"&E1)+1),B1:B20,0))

where C1:C20 is the percentage and B1:B20 the upper level values. You

might
also want to have a look at this if the commisions are variable

If the col A values in the row below are equal to the col B values in
the row above, e.g.,

___0 1000 5%
1000 2000 8%
2000 5000 11%
5000 10000 14%

and if the col A and B values were sorted in ascending order, it'd be a
whole lot simpler to use

=VLOOKUP(E1-0.000001,A1:C20,3)

If the col A values in the row below are equal to one more than the col
B values in the row above, this could be simplified even further to

=VLOOKUP(E1,A1:C20,3)

"Duncan Help" wrote...