Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
geoffw

Default If one cell given value others in row be made blank automatically?

I have a spreadsheet where i have cells that asign a score of 1 to 10 to a
description by placing an 'x' in the appropriate cell, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
description here x

The above would score the description 7 out of a maximum 10.

I would like all the other possible scores for that description to
automatically become blank depending on where you place the 'x' - at the
moment you can place an 'x' in all the boxes at once which allows the
description to score 100 out of 10!

So if I changed the above example by putting an 'X' under number 9 the one
under number 7 would disappear.

I'm an Excel novice - any help appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
geoffw

The example on my first post should have looked like this:

score.....................1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
description here........................x.............

"geoffw" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where i have cells that asign a score of 1 to 10 to a
description by placing an 'x' in the appropriate cell, like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
description here x

The above would score the description 7 out of a maximum 10.

I would like all the other possible scores for that description to
automatically become blank depending on where you place the 'x' - at the
moment you can place an 'x' in all the boxes at once which allows the
description to score 100 out of 10!

So if I changed the above example by putting an 'X' under number 9 the one
under number 7 would disappear.

I'm an Excel novice - any help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom

Geoff,
It might be best to do the following in this situation:

On a seperate sheet list the numbers 1 - 10 in a column
highlight those cells and select from the menu INSERT NAME DEFINE
In the NAMES IN WORKBOOK, type in SCORE, click OK

Back to your original sheet, in the column beside your desciption, click on
the cell then select DATA VALIDATION
In the ALLOW field, select LIST, then under the SOURCE field type in =SCORE

Now the user can select only ONE of the values from the Score list. These
cells can still be tallied in another cell if you wish.

HTH
Tom