Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
soniadufferin

Default Formula

Please help me to set up a formula that counts # of words in column

for example:

top
top
riser
riser
riser
riser
base
top
top
top
riser
base

TOP BASE RISER
TOTAL:

Thank you!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try this:

For a list of words in A1:A100

This formula counts the number of cells that contain ONLY the single word
"top"
D1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,"top")

If you put the word "top" in cell C1 then you could use this:
D1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,C1)

This formula counts the number of cells that contain the word "top" anywhere
in the cell (eg "top shelf" in a cell would count as 1 occurrence):
D1: =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,"*top*")

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"soniadufferin" wrote:

Please help me to set up a formula that counts # of words in column

for example:

top
top
riser