Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
me

Default Help with Forecasting function?

Help with a forecast function.

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the number value to increase my
percentage from whatever it is currently to 95%. I have 3 pieces of data,
good records, nuetral records, and bad records. In cell 1a I have the % of
cells b1, c1, d1. Here is my calc:

=(b1/SUM(b1:d1)

a1 b1 c1 d1
87% 20 2 1

I am trying to figure out how many more of B1 I need to reach a goal of 95%
in cell a1. My answer in this case is 32 more, which I want to display in
cell e1.

How can I do this?

TIA,
Bob W.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis

If "T" is 0.95, then

= (B1-SUM(B1:D1)*T)/(T - 1)

returns an answer of 37.
You need to increase B1 by 37 to get a percentage of 95%.
(32 gives an "rounded" solution of 95%)
--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis

"me" wrote in message
. com...
Help with a forecast function.

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the number value to increase my
percentage from whatever it is currently to 95%. I have 3 pieces of data,
good records, nuetral records, and bad records. In cell 1a I have the %
of cells b1, c1, d1. Here is my calc:

=(b1/SUM(b1:d1)

a1 b1 c1 d1
87% 20 2 1

I am trying to figure out how many more of B1 I need to reach a goal of
95% in cell a1. My answer in this case is 32 more, which I want to
display in cell e1.

How can I do this?

TIA,
Bob W.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
me

Dana,
You rock. I've spent about 3-4hrs looking for the correct calc and
you've helped me a great deal.

Thanks,
Bob W.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote in message
If "T" is 0.95, then

= (B1-SUM(B1:D1)*T)/(T - 1)

returns an answer of 37.
You need to increase B1 by 37 to get a percentage of 95%.
(32 gives an "rounded" solution of 95%)
--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP, Office 2003

"me" wrote in message
. com...
Help with a forecast function.

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the number value to increase
my percentage from whatever it is currently to 95%. I have 3 pieces of
data, good records, nuetral records, and bad records. In cell 1a I have
the % of cells b1, c1, d1. Here is my calc:

=(b1/SUM(b1:d1)

a1 b1 c1 d1
87% 20 2 1

I am trying to figure out how many more of B1 I need to reach a goal of
95% in cell a1. My answer in this case is 32 more, which I want to
display in cell e1.

How can I do this?

TIA,
Bob W.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis

Glad to help. :)
As a side note, if you are increasing B1 by 'x', then the solution is to
solve for 'x' in the following equation:
0.95 = (B1+x)/((B1+x)+C1+D1)
HTH. :)
--
Dana DeLouis

"me" wrote in message
. com...
Dana,
You rock. I've spent about 3-4hrs looking for the correct calc and
you've helped me a great deal.

Thanks,
Bob W.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote in message
If "T" is 0.95, then

= (B1-SUM(B1:D1)*T)/(T - 1)

returns an answer of 37.
You need to increase B1 by 37 to get a percentage of 95%.
(32 gives an "rounded" solution of 95%)
--
HTH. :)
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP, Office 2003

"me" wrote in message
. com...
Help with a forecast function.

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the number value to increase
my percentage from whatever it is currently to 95%. I have 3 pieces of
data, good records, nuetral records, and bad records. In cell 1a I have
the % of cells b1, c1, d1. Here is my calc:

=(b1/SUM(b1:d1)

a1 b1 c1 d1
87% 20 2 1

I am trying to figure out how many more of B1 I need to reach a goal of
95% in cell a1. My answer in this case is 32 more, which I want to
display in cell e1.

How can I do this?

TIA,
Bob W.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Dana DeLouis wrote...
As a side note, if you are increasing B1 by 'x', then the solution is to
solve for 'x' in the following equation:
0.95 = (B1+x)/((B1+x)+C1+D1)

A little algebra makes this simpler.

0.95 = 1 / [(B1+x) / (B1+x) + (C1+D1) / (B1+x)]
1 / 0.95 = 1 + (C1+D1) / (B1 + x)
1 / (1 / 0.95 - 1) = (B1 + x) / (C1 + D1)
(C1 + D1) / (1 / 0.95 - 1) = B1 + x

x = (C1 + D1) / (1 / 0.95 - 1) - B1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis

Thanks Harlan! I totally missed that one. :(
Your equation gives the op a nice whole number to this particular problem
also if he wishes.

=19*(C1+D1)-B1
where the '19 comes from:
0.95/(1 - 0.95)
Anyway, thanks again. :)
--
Dana DeLouis

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
ups.com...
Dana DeLouis wrote...

VBA Monty Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 30th 06 01:37 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM