Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
voyage2000UK

Default Excel Chessboard problem, boarders and cell shading

I made an Excel chessboard. I play chess on it though email and send
the excel sheet as an attachment. Moves are made by cut and pasting
the cells. It works good except for two things. One, I always have to
don't always stay intact. Two, the chessboard has both white and gray
squares. When I cut and paste from a gray to a white square, the color
follows. Any help out there?

Basically, I need to save the board as a template. Unfortunately, the
template changes when a move is made. How do I make a template that
doesn't change when I cut and paste in new data?

Thanks, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

You can do it in two steps:
- Copy and paste values.
- Delete the original cell.
This way the format will remain unaltered.

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"voyage2000UK" wrote:

I made an Excel chessboard. I play chess on it though email and send
the excel sheet as an attachment. Moves are made by cut and pasting
the cells. It works good except for two things. One, I always have to
don't always stay intact. Two, the chessboard has both white and gray
squares. When I cut and paste from a gray to a white square, the color
follows. Any help out there?

Basically, I need to save the board as a template. Unfortunately, the
template changes when a move is made. How do I make a template that
doesn't change when I cut and paste in new data?

Thanks, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
voyage2000UK

Thanks Miguel. You are right, copy and paste is better then cut and
paste. That solves the boarder problem. Unfortunately, the cell
colors still change. It's not a big deal to change the color. I was
just hoping there was a way to tune up the spread sheet so that it is
easier and faster to make the moves. Talk to you later, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Perhaps you can use conditional formatting. First set the background of the
cells to one of the colors and use 2 conditional formatting formulas for the
other background color. The formulas I came up with a

=AND(MOD(ROW(A1),2) = 1,MOD(COLUMN(A1),2) = 1)
=AND(MOD(ROW(A1),2) = 0,MOD(COLUMN(A1),2) = 0)
--
Kevin Vaughn

"voyage2000UK" wrote:

I made an Excel chessboard. I play chess on it though email and send
the excel sheet as an attachment. Moves are made by cut and pasting
the cells. It works good except for two things. One, I always have to
don't always stay intact. Two, the chessboard has both white and gray
squares. When I cut and paste from a gray to a white square, the color
follows. Any help out there?

Basically, I need to save the board as a template. Unfortunately, the
template changes when a move is made. How do I make a template that
doesn't change when I cut and paste in new data?

Thanks, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Hi John,

How about just making your chess pieces image files floating over your
grid then you can just click and drag them where you want.

Of course considering the fact that you are emailing the worksheeet you
might need to do a bit of fiddling with object linking and embedding
to get something that works smoothly.

Another option is to lodge your worksheet on a freebie website that only
you and your competitor have access to.

Just a couple of random thoughts.
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Miguel Zapico

You can use "paste values" (edit -paste special-values) instead of paste.
That should solve also the color issue.

Miguel.

"voyage2000UK" wrote:

Thanks Miguel. You are right, copy and paste is better then cut and
paste. That solves the boarder problem. Unfortunately, the cell
colors still change. It's not a big deal to change the color. I was
just hoping there was a way to tune up the spread sheet so that it is
easier and faster to make the moves. Talk to you later, John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
voyage2000UK

Thanks all, but of the above, none works. I don't know how to do it.
Perhaps there isn't a way to do it with Excel. The web idea is good,
but I work on a ship. I can only get email. Besides, there are chess
boards on the net already. If any want me to send the board... Oh
well, never mind.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
a a
b b