Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Clark

Default Shade a cell on one wrksht if another wrksht cell is occupied

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

You can use Conditional Formatting, you just have to Name the cell you
want it to refer to. Say in Sheet1!A1, you want to apply the shading
if Sheet2!A1 = something. Go to InsertNameDefine. Type in a name
for the reference to Sheet!2A1 ( I used Shade). Go to the cell you
want to apply the CF to. Change the Cell Value is: option to Formula
is then use something like:

=Shade<""

Click FormatPatterns and pick the color you want. Click OK and OK.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Clark

Thanks Steve,

I named the cell "GroupName" on the other worksheet. Can you tell me the
formula to achieve the following?

If the cell "GroupName" has ANY text in it, I want a separate worksheet cell
(call it A1) to fill in with a specific color. Does that make sense?

"SteveG" wrote:

You can use Conditional Formatting, you just have to Name the cell you
want it to refer to. Say in Sheet1!A1, you want to apply the shading
if Sheet2!A1 = something. Go to InsertNameDefine. Type in a name
for the reference to Sheet!2A1 ( I used Shade). Go to the cell you
want to apply the CF to. Change the Cell Value is: option to Formula
is then use something like:

=Shade<""

Click FormatPatterns and pick the color you want. Click OK and OK.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=544350

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

In the Conditional Formatting dialog, change "Cell Value Is" to
"Formula Is", and enter the following formula:

=LEN(GroupName)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"SteveG" wrote:

You can use Conditional Formatting, you just have to Name the
cell you
want it to refer to. Say in Sheet1!A1, you want to apply the
shading
if Sheet2!A1 = something. Go to InsertNameDefine. Type in
a name
for the reference to Sheet!2A1 ( I used Shade). Go to the
cell you
want to apply the CF to. Change the Cell Value is: option to
Formula
is then use something like:

=Shade<""

Click FormatPatterns and pick the color you want. Click OK
and OK.

Does that help?

Steve

--