Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian P

Default COUNTBLANK function

I posted a question the other day about the COUNTBLANK function because when
I used it to count the blank cells returned by the formula =IF(a1="","",a1)
it didn't work unless I deleted the contents of a1 twice.

I have now tried this on my home PC running Excel97 and I get exactly the
same fault as I do at work running Excel2000. Interestingly depending on the
order in which I set up the spreadsheet (either entering the formula first or
entering the A1 first) I can get the fault to occur on not. So I have
reached the conclusion that there is a fault with this functionality. Bob
Phillips mentioned that COUNTBLANK can't be used to count formulas returning
"" so is this a change in a later version of Excel?

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message

"Ian P" wrote:

[...]

http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ank_Value.html and
http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...ank_Cells.html
suggest that this hasn't changed between 97, 2000, & 2003.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ragdyer

I'm on an XL97 machine today and the Countblank() function *does* count zero
length strings (""), which are returned by formulas.

RD

"Ian P" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Just to add to what's already been posted:

From Excel help:

COUNTBLANK
Counts empty cells in a specified range of cells.
Cells with formulas that return "" (empty text) are also counted.

ISBLANK
The ISBLANK function returns the logical value TRUE if value is a reference
to an empty cell; otherwise it returns FALSE.

A1 = =""

=COUNTBLANK(A1) = 1
=ISBLANK(A1) = FALSE

The should have named ISBLANK ISEMPTY

Biff

"Ian P" wrote in message
[...]

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM